[emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: synchronising planner projects across multiple

From: Joseph Kiniry
Subject: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: synchronising planner projects across multiple machines
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2006 10:37:44 +0000

Hey Daniel, John, et al,

(Coincidentally, Daniel was just visiting me/us at UCD a few days ago, but he is now home in chilly Canada, thousands of miles away.)

From: "Daniel M. German" <address@hidden>
Date: 12 March 2006 22:39:12 GMT
Subject: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Re:emacs-wiki-discuss Digest, Vol 27, Issue 16

Howdy all,

My next to last step in trusting my planner system is to keep my local
files and my remote network files in sync. I thought rsync would be
the way to go, but from what sacha has been teaching me, it sounds
like that is just a better way to publish to the web. (That's my final
step).

I would like to keep my local copy and remote copy in sync because I
have to work from multiple computers and end up having to work off my
own machines, so I would like to be able to just shell into my remote
copy when I need to, but trust that I can sync (diff) things up later.

My remote is linux so I can shell into that from anything. but
unfortunately (imho) my local copy is on XP+cygwin until I get gentoo
running on my other machine. Is unison the best way to go? Or are
there other things I don't know about?

I would recommend using CVS (or subversion). It will be able to
synchronize files regardless of where they were last modified, and
given the text nature of the files, "patch" them as needed. If you
tend to modify the same files you might have to do some manual
resolution of conflicts, but the cost is minimal given the advantages.

this way it does not matter where you modify your files, as long as
you synchronize frequently.

I use CVS for a large chunk of my home directory and it is great for
synchronizing remote machines.

I have had nearly my entire home directory in a version control system (CVS) for many, many years and I know that works great.

What I found did not work well though is attempting to use such for planner files, as they typically change is ways that patch finds challenging.  In particular, my most recent days and all of the task pages (and subpages) that they link to often change in non-trivial ways due to task completion reformatting, date changes, priority changes, trunking, etc.  Of course, one *could* configure planner/muse in such a way as to minimize these kinds of patch-challenging update cases, but that would force me to work in a less-efficient way just because one of my tools cannot deal with my complexity.  (That'd be like me using Microsoft! <g>)

As mentioned by others, my solution is to use unison for my plans.  I sync half a dozen machines running several different operating systems regularly using "unison -batch" to my server at the office and, because the syncs run frequently, then all changes are automatically mirrored across all machines and no patching is necessary.

I would like to keep my local copy and remote copy in sync because I
have to work from multiple computers and end up having to work off my
own machines, so I would like to be able to just shell into my remote
copy when I need to, but trust that I can sync (diff) things up later.

My remote is linux so I can shell into that from anything. but
unfortunately (imho) my local copy is on XP+cygwin until I get gentoo
running on my other machine. Is unison the best way to go? Or are
there other things I don't know about?

I would recommend using CVS (or subversion). It will be able to
synchronize files regardless of where they were last modified, and
given the text nature of the files, "patch" them as needed. If you
tend to modify the same files you might have to do some manual
resolution of conflicts, but the cost is minimal given the advantages.

I used unison for my Planner and for my mail for quite a while. It's very
convenient. But, if you think that you might ever edit files in more than one
place without synching first, you probably are best off with a version control
system. I use darcs.

darcs is a good choice for this particular challenging if you wish to use a version control system.  Another good choice, given these requirements, is baz (arch).

Joe
---
Joseph Kiniry
School of Computer Science and Informatics
UCD Dublin
http://srg.cs.ucd.ie/