RE: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: planner - cyclic tasks - diary and schedule

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: RE: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: planner - cyclic tasks - diary and schedule
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 13:00:17 -0000

René wrote:
> Phillip Lord <Phillip.Lord <at> newcastle.ac.uk> writes:
>
>> René wrote:
>>> Before using Planner I relied on a regular diary.
>>
>> What? Like a paper one, you mean?
>
> No.  I meant regular Emacs' diary.

Ah, okay.

Always thought that emacs diary was the work of the devil,
as it was so unusable.

I've finally realised why block tasks are not working for me,
they are not working in the diary either (at least not
coming up in the display). I shall have to work on this.

>>> Now I've switched
>>> to planner-cyclic along with planner-appt in the "* Schedule"
>>> section, but I'm still confused about whether I am missing features
>>> that would be available if I were using regular diaries.
>
> I'm still wondering what would be the best approach :
>
>  - working with planner-cyclic
>  - or with planner-diary
>
> The second alternative seems to provide more features and the
> integration with calendar seems better.  So I'm considering switching
> back to planner-diary.
>
> Does anyone have some additional viewpoint on this issue?

I think I am going to go for a two up solution. I'm going to use
planner-diary to store cyclic and block dates (at least if I can
get the block support working!). The interface to diary is programmable
so I should be able to add somethings which it doesn't have (cyclic
events with a time limitation, such as "every Friday for the next 12 weeks").

Then use schedule for the one off events.

> Planner diary also seems to provide differentiated ways to deal with
> public vs. private appointments via planner-diary-private-file and
> planner-diary-public-file.  BTW I would be great if spd.el (Select
> Planner Directory) could rely on this feature as soon as it is
> bundled into tarball/zipfile/debian package.  Right now spd includes
> appointments from the planner-cyclic-diary-file into day pages
> regardless whether the day pages are from your private or public
> planner.

Yes, this is true. The "public/private" thing is nice. It would be easy
to implement something similar in schedule I guess.

Phil