Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Running emacs off ~/notebook/plans/.foo

From: Evan Monroig
Subject: Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Running emacs off ~/notebook/plans/.foo
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2006 07:37:35 +0900

On 6/6/06, thomas knoll <address@hidden> wrote:
I would really like to run emacs in such a way that all my .foobar
files can be in my plans directory. As it is right now, I'm useing my
files on three different computers, one of which is network only
(never seen the physical machine). It would be much easier if I only
had to move around one directory (instead of one directory and four or
five other random files).

thoughts? or "duh, you do it this way" 's?

Hi, I understand what you mean and I am doing (almost) exactly the
same. I have a directory ~/planner in my home folder, and I have it
versionned with subversion (over ssh) so that I can easily switch
computers.

Maybe the easiest way (I haven't tried) would be to do something like

export HOME=/home/myname/planner emacs

when you start emacs, but here is how I do anyway.

My ~/.emacs consists of ony line:
(load "~/planner/emacs.el")

which contains my settings including non-default directories and files:

(setq planner-id-tracking-file "~/planner/planner-id")
(setq diary-file "~/planner/diary")
(setq bbdb-file "~/planner/bbdb")
(setq message-signature-file "~/planner/signature")
(setq planner-directory "~/planner/plans")

Evan