emacsweblogs

[Emacsweblogs] Re: weblogger.el and tags

From: David Abrahams
Subject: [Emacsweblogs] Re: weblogger.el and tags
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2009 06:30:50 -0400

Hi Mark,

Sorry about the slow response time.  Busy blogging ;-)

On Aug 30, 2009, at 9:27 PM, Mark A. Hershberger wrote:

[Ccing the emacsweblogs mailing list]

David Abrahams <address@hidden> writes:

I select the body of the buffer, then `M-x
my-clone-region-set-mode<RET>markdown-mode' and away I go.  The only
problem is that unless I make changes *directly* in the weblogger- entry buffer (not the clone), `C-c C-c' in the weblogger-entry buffer tells me
"nothing to post."

I have been thinking about ways to make weblogger.el work with other
modes better.  Some people prefer to type theirs up in SGML, others
nxhtml, others org, and still others (e.g. you) in markdown.

I think the way to solve this is to tie the weblogger buffer to the
“content” buffer instead of the other way around.

Well, perhaps. I don't know enough about the internals of weblogger.el to really understand what that means.

That way, for
example, you would start writing up your blog entry in a markdown mode
buffer and then invoke, say, weblogger-convert-and-post-buffer.

That could work, but what about editing an existing draft?

weblogger-convert-and-post-buffer would look for a buffer-local variable
(say, weblogger-conversion-function) that points to a conversion
function.  It would call this function to get HTML code suitable for
posting

Oh, gee, I don't think I want that! My posts really are written in Markdown, not raw HTML. I'm using Wordpress plugins that cause the Markdown to be displayed as HTML, dynamically.

This HTML would be used for the body section of the post and you could
fill out the other fields as needed.

If you change the primary buffer, weblogger.el would be able to see that
and update the body of the post.  You'd still be able to use
weblogger.el to edit the raw html if you wish, of course.

The could be other hooks for weblogger-convert-and-post-buffer to use.
Org, for instance, allows you to set the title for a buffer and this
could be carried over to the title of the weblogger post.  Similar
things could be done for date stamps, tags, etc.

What do you think?

Really, I just want my clone-region-set-mode thingy to work (i.e. cause weblogger to know the buffer has been changed). I'll probably want to do the clone thing at multiple levels anyway, since I put C++ code in my blog posts and I'll sometimes want to edit that in c++-mode.

BTW, how do I create a new post with weblogger? It's totally awesome aside from these two issues I can't seem to get around!

--
David Abrahams
BoostPro Computing