emms-help

Re: [emms-help] Making emms-playlist-mode play nice with emms-browser

From: Yoni Rabkin Katzenell
Subject: Re: [emms-help] Making emms-playlist-mode play nice with emms-browser
Date: Thu, 02 Nov 2006 10:57:02 +0200

Michael Olson <address@hidden> writes:

> Some of the tracks that I have ripped to my system from CD lack a
> track number, due to forgetting to pass one option to oggenc in my CD
> ripper of choice.  Since I use emms-browser now, and emms-browser
> inevitably lists these tracks out of order in an album, this is a bit
> problematic.
>
> Rather than fix the problem by adding the metadata to all tracks that
> it's missing from, I thought about ways of working around the problem.
> I came up with the following set of functions and keybindings that
> allows me to add these errant albums to an existing emms-browser
> playlist by using emms-playlist-mode.  It could stand on its own, as
> well, as an easy way of picking albums when you have a playlist file
> for each album (which most good CD rippers generate by default).
>
> The idea is to browse an open emms-browser-generated playlist and hit
> `C-c m a' to set it as the "accumulation" buffer.

The Emacs Lisp coding conventions ask that we don't bind anything to C-c
LETTER. That should be up to the user to bind.

> From that point on,
> browse to an emms-playlist-mode buffer, hit `a' on a file or playlist,
> and it will get added to the end of the designated "accumulation"
> buffer.  If the accumulation buffer has not been set, make a new one,
> add track or playlist contents to it, and designate it for future
> additions.

How is this different than sorting the playlist buffer in-place? When I
want to do something similar, I just kill and yank the tracks into
order.

> Shall I add this to emms-playlist-mode?

I certainly don't see why not. It seems like a new and different way of
doing things. Maybe people will find new and interesting ways of using
this.

Once it is completely stable (in the API and usability sense) could you
remind me to add it to the Emacs manual?