emms-help

[emms-help] Re: Making emms-playlist-mode play nice with emms-browser

From: Michael Olson
Subject: [emms-help] Re: Making emms-playlist-mode play nice with emms-browser
Date: Thu, 02 Nov 2006 23:40:52 -0500

Yoni Rabkin Katzenell <address@hidden> writes:

>> The idea is to browse an open emms-browser-generated playlist and
>> hit `C-c m a' to set it as the "accumulation" buffer.
>
> The Emacs Lisp coding conventions ask that we don't bind anything to
> C-c LETTER. That should be up to the user to bind.

Of course.  I'm only providing the keybinding I thought up on-the-fly,
not the one I would install to emms-playlist-mode.

>> From that point on, browse to an emms-playlist-mode buffer, hit `a'
>> on a file or playlist, and it will get added to the end of the
>> designated "accumulation" buffer.  If the accumulation buffer has
>> not been set, make a new one, add track or playlist contents to it,
>> and designate it for future additions.
>
> How is this different than sorting the playlist buffer in-place?
> When I want to do something similar, I just kill and yank the tracks
> into order.

It inserts the contents of the playlist file at point.  Killing and
yanking only works for my purposes when the tracks of a playlist are
already in an EMMS buffer.

>> Shall I add this to emms-playlist-mode?
>
> I certainly don't see why not. It seems like a new and different way
> of doing things. Maybe people will find new and interesting ways of
> using this.
>
> Once it is completely stable (in the API and usability sense) could
> you remind me to add it to the Emacs manual?

Sure.  If you would prefer, I could even add something to the manual
in the same patch that would install this change.  I'm trying to get
into the habit of doing that.

--
Michael Olson -- FSF Associate Member #652 -- http://www.mwolson.org/
Interests: Emacs Lisp, text markup, protocols -- Jabber: mwolson_at_hcoop.net