emms-help

Re: [emms-help] Sample configuration for mpd+emms?

From: Julien Cubizolles
Subject: Re: [emms-help] Sample configuration for mpd+emms?
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2016 23:26:01 +0200

Yoni Rabkin <address@hidden> writes:

>> At the moment, I'm using a fork (https://github.com/jreinert/MPD) of
>> mpd that addresses this very issue ensuring that no duplicated entries
>> are created in the tag_cache. But it would of course be better for
>> emms to handle this kind of error in the tag_cache.
>
> I'm sorry it has taken me so long to respond; the quotidian got the
> better of me.

Thanks a lot for taking the time to look into this.

> Since I'm unfamiliar with mpd I'd like to understand: is this a bug in
> mpd which will be fixed upstream?

To me it's a bug but the developper doesn't see it that way and won't
fix it. But I'm not the only one annoyed with it and someone patched
this problem in MPD

> Or is the point to make sure that Emms doesn't get confused when
> reading from buggy software that provides multiple, identical entries?

I wanted to let you know however that at the moment emms gets so
confused that it ends up with a completely wrong database.

Also, have you seen my other message where I noticed that some entries
in a perfectly valid MPD database (without duplicates) seem to confuse
emms so that its entries mix up their titles/track numbers, in the emms
cacheĀ ? (http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.emms.user/1768/)

Right now I have a good cache (created by emms-insert-directory-tree)
that I can play with mpd in emms and I'm fine with it.

Julien.