enigma-devel

Re: [Enigma-devel] Enigma 0.8 beta version questions

From: slfabian
Subject: Re: [Enigma-devel] Enigma 0.8 beta version questions
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 22:10:55 -0400

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for responding.  I understand your point about locking levels turning
Enigma into a somewhat more coherent game, however I do not feel that the
people who know about and play Enigma need this as an incentive.  Don't you
think that the people who play Enigma are inherently motivated to complete
all of the levels and will keep trying to do so?  I don't like being forced
to play them more or less in order.  Again, this is why I don't like other
"level" games.  I don't think that this makes them fun--it only makes them
frustrating.

I wouldn't mind the idea of having an option to turn level locking on or
off.  I know that someone else said that this is the same as unlocking all
levels, but at least it would give you a choice.  If you are the kind of
person who needs or likes the "motivation" of having the levels locked, you
could select this option.  Otherwise, if you just like the challenge of
solving puzzles, you could select the unlocked option.   By the way, this
same person commented that he had previously skipped some difficult levels.

Another person wrote that he would have also complained if he wasn't able to
get some hints about how to solve certain levels by looking at the lua
files.  I am generally pretty computer illiterate, so I don't even know what
this means or how to look at these files.

I still hope that you decide to open all of the levels, or provide an
option, but I think that at least all of the levels that were available in
version 0.70 should be open in this and subsequent versions.

I also wonder why two of the levels were changed to make them more
difficult.  I am referring to "Mission Impossible" in the Enigma 1 level
pack, and an unnamed level (level 16) in the Esprit/Oxyd level pack.
Mission Impossible used to have fewer lasers and Level 16 used to give you 3
lives, but now only gives you one.  I have also had a problem on several of
the levels already with trigger plates getting stuck.

Just so you don't think I am complaining about everything, I do like the new
feature of having your solving time saved, and being able to challenge
yourself to beat that time.

Thanks again,
Stephanie Fabian