erc-discuss

[Erc-discuss] Re: M-x erc RET

From: Michael Olson
Subject: [Erc-discuss] Re: M-x erc RET
Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2006 13:14:18 -0400

Diane Murray <address@hidden> writes:

> Is this change big enough to require a bump up in the (minor or
> major?) version number?  `erc-select' still exists as an alias to
> `erc', so there should be no problem there.  But any users who were
> still using `erc' in their code (mostly to avoid the forced
> interactivity of `erc-select' pre-ERC 5.0) will have problems.
> Whether or not a new release is made at this time, I believe these
> changes should be applied to Emacs before it is released.

Excellent work!  I think we should make a 5.2 release soon that has
this change, and try to get it into Emacs.  We should try to meet our
pre-5.2 goals for the manual if possible, but that can be delayed if
we completely lack motivation :^) .

I've created a 5.2 release branch to make this process easier.  It
should have all of the file-rename changes that we made for Emacs,
this change, the auto-away changes (I've still got one or two
uncommitted fixes, IIRC) but not the "kill IRC process due to
time-out" change, since that one isn't as good as I want it yet.

To get it:

tla get address@hidden/erc--rel--5.2 erc-5.2

I anticipate merging some changes today, and then stopping for a while
to do homework and study for classes.

--
Michael Olson -- FSF Associate Member #652 -- http://www.mwolson.org/
Interests: Emacs Lisp, text markup, protocols -- Jabber: mwolson_at_hcoop.net