espressomd-devel

[ESPResSo-devel] c question

From: Ivan Cimrak
Subject: [ESPResSo-devel] c question
Date: Mon, 18 May 2015 13:28:44 +0200

Dear core developer(s),

I would like to add some functionality in our object-in-fluid framework. We did some effort to speed up the computations. For this however we needed to create new local interaction between 4 particles, called oif_local_forces (this interaction replaces all other local interactions from oif).

Unlike the dihedral force, we need 4 different forces to be added to 4 particles involved in the interaction.

Until now, the Espresso defines in function add_bonded_forces only 3 forces (force, force2 and force3). Only when TWIST_STACK is defined, another forces are used.

Here comes my question: How should I add the fourth force? There are basically 2 options: 1. I add force4 in the beginning of add_bonded_force. The drawback of this option is, that there will be always 4 forces compiled in regardless whether our new local bonded interaction will be used or not. 2. I will introduce new preprocessor directive OIF_LOCAL_FORCES that will need to be set in myconfig.hpp in case I will use my new local interaction. And the fourth force will be defined only if OIF_LOCAL_FORCES is defined. I emphasize, that the directive OIF_LOCAL_FORCES would be used only at this single place in the code. We do not need it for anything else.

Thanks for your advice.

Ivan

--
Ivan Cimrak