Re: [ESPResSo-users] Error prompt in lbgpu.cu

From: Axel Arnold
Subject: Re: [ESPResSo-users] Error prompt in lbgpu.cu
Date: Tue, 3 Jan 2012 17:00:52 +0100

On Tuesday 03 January 2012, Farnoosh Farahpoor wrote:
> I forgot to write the last line of the error: "CUDA error: unspecified
> launch failure"

That is the equivalent of a segfault. reset_particle_force is the first check
for errors after the asynchronous force calculation, so the segfault can
happen anywhere during the force calculation, e.g. since a particle got a
position like NaN or so - there are plenty of possibilities. Since the error
seems to occur at different times, it is quite likely that your system is not
properly set up and is unstable, which of course shows up much faster if you
increase the number of particles. You might want to reduce the time steps or
viscosities.

Many regards,
Axel

--
JP Dr. Axel Arnold      Tel: +49 711 685 67609
ICP, Universität Stuttgart      Email: address@hidden