fab-user

Re: [Fab-user] running tests

From: Jeff Forcier
Subject: Re: [Fab-user] running tests
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2009 22:31:18 -0400

It's Github's fault! :( so sad. Github is making the files executable
for some reason, and Nose skips executable files by default to avoid
any potential side-effects (e.g. a script that does its thing at
module level would then "run" when imported.) From Nose's --exe option
in the help:

    Look for tests in python modules that are executable. Normal
behavior is to exclude executable modules, since they may not be
import-safe [NOSE_INCLUDE_EXE]

So, if you tack on a '--exe' to a manual nosetests call, it will run
the tests :) this works for me.

I'll have to add a note about this to the docs, or *maybe* update "fab
test" to look for this situation and add the --exe flag for you. Feels
vaguely unsafe, but I would hope I'd never write an executable script
that does bad things just when imported, so...

-Jeff