fab-user

[Fab-user] Debugging "su" and "sudo" commands.

From: Ben Welsh
Subject: [Fab-user] Debugging "su" and "sudo" commands.
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2009 14:47:58 -0700

I'm experimenting with some remote "su - <user>" commands in my fabfile and having problems.

Here's my usecase. I have my Django app code in a directory that belongs to an apache-ish user, though with a slightly different name. To update my code, what I need to do is enter the directory as that user and pull the latest code from github.

I've tried umpteen different combinations of sudo('su <user>; whoami;) and run('sudo su - projects', shell=False) and on and on. And I have this issue where the fab output will just hang after it issues the command and return no information until it times out. Is this some problem with the password prompt and my /etc/suders permissions, or what? Is there any better way to debug my issue?

I'm able to successfully issue all of the commands in my terminal via SSH, though I am required to pump in the password for root access when prompted.

Any guidance would be appreciated,

Thanks.

Ben.