fab-user

Re: [Fab-user] Debugging "su" and "sudo" commands.

From: Jeff Forcier
Subject: Re: [Fab-user] Debugging "su" and "sudo" commands.
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2009 20:04:28 -0400

Hi Ben,

On Mon, Oct 26, 2009 at 5:47 PM, Ben Welsh <address@hidden> wrote:
> Is this some problem with the password
> prompt and my /etc/suders permissions, or what?

It's simply that Fabric does not yet have the ability to be
interactive with the remote end outside of sudo (and only sudo)
prompts:

    http://code.fabfile.org/issues/show/7

Obviously investigating this is a relatively high priority, but it's a
nontrivial task.

So currently, if you cannot accomplish your task via sudo, you're out
of luck. However, based on your description I don't really see why
sudo (vs su) wouldn't work -- for example, you can specify the "user"
kwarg to sudo() to force it to run the command as your apache-ish
user:

    http://docs.fabfile.org/0.9/api/core/operations.html#fabric.operations.sudo

Let us know if there's more going on here (since I suspect there may
be, if you're trying to do "su <whoever> -" and we may be able to help
further.

Best,
Jeff