fab-user

[Fab-user] Get and put as another user ?

From: Klamann, Norbert
Subject: [Fab-user] Get and put as another user ?
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2011 09:57:12 +0200

Hello all,
i want to use fabric for the distribution of plone instances and my scnario is as follows:
On each (virtual) mchine I have a system user 'plone', who owns the  installation and shall handle the day to day business. This user has no password, can only login with ssh and public key. This user cannot sudo on the box.
On the other hand I personally am an operator on the virtual box, i can sudo with a password ( which ist nicely handled by fabric, by the way, thanks a lot for this great work). Due to the nature of things there are some jobs which have to be done as root, so I need a clean way to switch between the user 'plone' and the user 'norbertk' (me) in the fabric file.

Unfortunately I am not able to figure this out. A pure  fabric 'sudo' can not handle get and put operations, as far as I know. Can with and settings do the job ? If yes, I would like to see an example. At the moment I copy the env and change that, but even this does not work nicely with get/put I use version 1.0. .

Thanks for listening !

Norbert