fab-user

Re: [Fab-user] env.user and prev_user in the presence of env.hosts

From: Justin Donaldson
Subject: Re: [Fab-user] env.user and prev_user in the presence of env.hosts
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2011 13:52:33 -0700

Hi Jeff,
Answers inline...

On Fri, Apr 15, 2011 at 8:31 PM, Jeff Forcier <address@hidden> wrote:

Right now we actually organize via Redmine instead of GH -- could you
please make a ticket at code.fabfile.org and put a link to your pull
request? :)

I filed the ticket, and can use that redmine system to follow up.

3) Take advantage of the upcoming move to object-oriented tasks and
have fabric.main simply attach the return value of task1 as an
attribute on task2, which may then opt to access that data as
necessary. Similar to 1) but isn't using a global shared state, only a
per-task-object state -- feels a lot cleaner. We could also do
something with methods here if we wanted, instead of just using
objects as data bags -- many possibilities.

I think 3) makes the most sense -- this would be a new feature
regardless and that seems like by far the cleanest way to implement
it.

Yep, I like the third option as well.

Just an FYI that we have half-formed plans regarding the general
problem of task arguments and typing:

   http://code.fabfile.org/issues/show/69

Thanks, I'll keep tabs.  I'd encourage you all to keep tabs on libcloud:
http://incubator.apache.org/libcloud/

My approach is going to be to create fab functionality out of some of the libcloud primitives (providers, node specs/sizes, node images, node instances, etc.)

Some of this could extend into "fabric" functionality... such as specifying and handling env.providers, etc.

P.S. Going on the road again for the next 4 days so if I am delayed in
replying, that's why =)

Have a good trip!

Thanks again,
-Justin