fab-user

[Fab-user] run command sometimes just hangs

From: Jimmy John
Subject: [Fab-user] run command sometimes just hangs
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2011 13:11:30 -0700 (PDT)

Hello,

    Is there a way to execute the 'run' fabric operation and associate it with a timeout. e.g. sometimes when I run a very simple command via 'run' on a remote machine like:

'mktemp -d %s/foo.XXXXXXXXXX' % exec_path
'mkdir -p %s' % foo

The associated lines in the log file are:

Created tmp dir: /my_awesome_jail/fooobar.zdERZs2149
<It hangs here>

99% of the time, everything works fine. But ever so often I get the above error. No exceptions, no systemexit, nothing. it just hangs there.

Is there any inbuilt 'timeout' parameter for the 'run' command? Or do i have to wrap each command via a monitor and kill it if it exceeds the timeout.

thx
Jim

address@hidden