fab-user

[Fab-user] Fabric 1.4 hangs on run('git fetch && git fetch --tags')

From: Ivan Sergeyenko
Subject: [Fab-user] Fabric 1.4 hangs on run('git fetch && git fetch --tags')
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2012 18:57:07 -0500

Hi all,

I'm experiencing a bizarre problem when trying to provision my server
with fabric. The following fabric command hangs for me (it eventually
times out):

def test():
    with cd('/var/my_repo'):
        run('git fetch && git fetch --tags')

As far as I can tell, both commands are executed, but Fabric never
gets notified that they're done. Splitting the command into two "run"
statements fixes the issue:

def test():
    with cd('/var/my_repo'):
        run('git fetch')
        run('git fetch --tags')

I have tried this on multiple servers with different git repos, always
getting the same result. Needless to say, running the same command
manually on the server works fine. This leads me to believe that this
has nothing to do with git in particular, but could be a strange bug
in Fabric. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can investigate
this?

Thanks,
Ivan