fab-user

[Fab-user] Is there an opt-in switch for the old line buffering behavior

From: Brent Tubbs
Subject: [Fab-user] Is there an opt-in switch for the old line buffering behavior?
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2012 04:49:39 +0100

Hello Fabric users and devs,

I'm working on a deployment orchestration tool that uses Celery workers to execute Fabric tasks.  The actual functionality is going great, but the log output from remote commands is a bit wonky; it's printed with just one character per line.  See http://pastebin.com/0SW99xL8 for an example.

I've confirmed that with the old line buffering behavior from Fabric <=0.9 I can get normally-formatted responses in my Celery worker logs.  (Example with a dummy project/task: http://pastebin.com/Y7jAhEqq.)  So, a couple questions:
  1. Where in the codebase is the best place to look to re-enable line buffering?  Is there just one place, or would I have to patch a bunch of stuff all over?
  2. Would a env.buffer_lines option be of interest to upstream or anyone else, or should I anticipate keeping this as my own fork/monkeypatch?
I appreciate your help,
Brent

---------

Brent Tubbs