fab-user

Re: [Fab-user] persistent session?

From: Christian Vest Hansen
Subject: Re: [Fab-user] persistent session?
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2012 22:09:23 +0200

"the simple answer is no, and this is by design."

I feel compelled to share a bit of the history here. The very first thing I tried to do, was to implement fabric with persistent connections. The SSH protocol has several sub-protocols, and a shell connection is one of them; the ability to run a single command is another. It turns out that if you open a shell connection — which would afford you interactivity and the ability to run several commands in a row in a changeable shell environment — then the protocol does not help you tell when a command has finished executing, or what the return code might be. This is because these things are tied to the shell process, and not the commands that the shell is executing. Without this information, fabric would just hang forever.
I don't know if anyone have tried to build a way to simulate this command-like behaviour over persistent connections to the arbitrary shell programs on the target hosts, but I know that I didn't feel like trying it out way back then. So in a way it is more "suffering reality" than "by design" — at least it was when I was involved.
I have heard fexpect mentioned a couple of times on this list, but I have no idea what it is.