fab-user

[Fab-user] How to use the env option "command_timeout"?

From: Anubhav Yadav
Subject: [Fab-user] How to use the env option "command_timeout"?
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2015 14:57:22 +0530

I have rabbitmq installed on one of my servers, and I log into it and issue the command :

"service rabbitmq stop"

Which is followed by:

"service rabbitmq start"

Now sometimes it so happens that the service will not stop/start for a long time. So I will need to abort the service (by sending a keyboard interrupt ^C) and run the command again.

I want to replicate the same using fabric. I read the docs, and it said there is an option called command_timeout. Not much documentation is available about it. Here is my code snippet that I am trying to use:

def restartRabbitMQ():
    flag1 = True
    flag2 = True
    with settings(command_timeout=15, warn_only=True):
        while flag1:
            result = sudo("service rabbitmq-server stop")
            if result.failed:
                continue
            flag1 = False
        while flag2:
            result = sudo("service rabbitmq-server start")
            if result.failed:
                continue
            flag2 = False

However, this command will be stuck till unless rabbitmq starts/stops itself or there is an error starting/stopping rabbitmq. command_timeout seems to have no effect whatsoever.

Any help here?

--
Regards,
Anubhav Yadav