fhsst-authors

Re: [Fhsst-authors] [Fwd: Logs section]

From: Mark Horner
Subject: Re: [Fhsst-authors] [Fwd: Logs section]
Date: Thu, 03 Jun 2004 13:10:51 -0700

Hi Peter

There is a danger that someone may unwittingly put content in the wikipedia which they are not entitled to.

I believe that we should use content from the wikipedia because it is FDL licensed and one of our goals is to try to get people to later use our content just like we will use the content from the wikipedia.

Wikipedia is responsible for ensuring their content meets FDL requirements and I believe that it is certainly reasonable for us to use their content in the belief that it is copyrighted under FDL. They publicly proclaim their content is FDL

To be reasonable and a bit safer though, we should probably use wikipedia content as an initial draft for our content. Once we have modified to meet syllabus requirements, layout and style I think it will stand on its own.

(Sam what do you think?)

Cheers,

Mark

Peter Hutnick wrote:
Mark Horner wrote:

 > Hi Peter
 >
 > Any chance you could be convinced to have a crack at the Logs section
 > in the algebra chapter?

I've already replied to Mark in the affirmative.

I've started doing a little research to get my act together. Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page) has quite a bit of decent text for this purpose.

Wikipedia is ostensibly under the terms of the FDL, but no control is asserted over contributions. I.e. anyone could copy text to which he or she does not hold the copyrights and paste it in to a Wikipedia article.

How do folks feel about using this stuff?

-Peter