fhsst-maths

Re: FHSST-Maths: officially dumbed down...

From: Mark Horner
Subject: Re: FHSST-Maths: officially dumbed down...
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 20:46:11 -0700

Hey Sam

nice big edit - I updated the FHSST Maths book on the website - 198 pages - almost at 200! Only 177 behind Physics ;) Come on Maths teams you can do it :)

Ok - on a more serious note - a little worried about the use of the word infinity so early on. I think we should explain that concept carefully - but thats the right place to do it.

If we going to have some solid basics in, where does the precedence of operators (is that programming jargon - should it be operations) fit in? Just the line where you have a+b/c - they should know that they do the division first but if we want to be clear and correct we might want to say something, though I defer that decision to the maths team.

I think the books should be relaxed but correct. The comment about mathematicians being lazy might raise some eyebrows but its fine by me :) after the talk I saw today by a theorist (mathematician in disguise) its undeniable.

Cheers,

Mark

Mark Horner Jabber/AIM/Yahoo: marknewlyn

Co-author:
http://www.nongnu.org/fhsst
http://savannah.gnu.org/projects/fhsst

"Life is but a seg-fault away ...

Life received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
0x42074d40 in calloc () from /lib/i686/liblife.so.6"