fhsst-maths

Re: FHSST-Maths: officially dumbed down...

From: Sam Halliday
Subject: Re: FHSST-Maths: officially dumbed down...
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2005 14:32:06 +0100

On 13 Apr 2005, at 04:46, Mark Horner wrote:
Ok - on a more serious note - a little worried about the use of the word infinity so early on. I think we should explain that concept carefully - but thats the right place to do it.

well spotted. i feel footnotes are being used too much... perhaps it is time to write (or copy from physics) the "new word" environment for this scenario

If we going to have some solid basics in, where does the precedence of operators (is that programming jargon - should it be operations) fit in?

i was hoping we'd get away with "operations", but if we have the new words env i could do a better job

Just the line where you have a+b/c - they should know that they do the division first but if we want to be clear and correct we might want to say something, though I defer that decision to the maths team.

i'm pretty sure i do ordering before division

I think the books should be relaxed but correct. The comment about mathematicians being lazy might raise some eyebrows but its fine by me :) after the talk I saw today by a theorist (mathematician in disguise) its undeniable.

hehe... perhaps its best as a footnote.

cheers,
Sam
--