fle3-dev

[Fle3-dev] Rethinking Fle3 user accounts

From: Tarmo Toikkanen
Subject: [Fle3-dev] Rethinking Fle3 user accounts
Date: Fri May 10 09:03:01 2002

The following is quoted from bug #386, which I posted a few days ago:

When a valid Zope user tries to enter Fle3, but he doesn't have a valid Fle account, he gets an error message (naturally, since he doesn't have a webtop, where he's being redirected).

Something should be done - either a clean error message or then the creation of a user account. This will become a major issue when external LDAP authentication is used. Ideas?

Petri Savolainen added a follow-up with some interesting ideas.

Follow-up Comments

What exactly does "fle account" comprise of? While seemingly a very nice, polished product overall, it is true the FLE user management is a bit annoyingly single-minded currently :-) It seems one cannot even copy/paste fle users using ZMI, use outside ("above FLE folder") auth etc.

You're absolutely right in that Fle handles users quite badly and this has been a known issue for some time. We're planning on implementing LDAP support to Fle3, but that's still in planning stages. Anyway, we will either have to use a custom acl_users folder that does LDAP, or (probably better solution) delegate authentication to a higher level acl_users folder.

Currently the FLE folder contains both a normal acl_users, as well as our own custom fle_users folder (which is of class UserManager). acl_users contains authentication information and fle_users contains all the other information shown in the user interface. This solution is a bit awkward, but has worked so far.

How about delegating authentication to whatever auth mechanism is used "above" FLE and just creating user webtops for authenticated users as they come in first time?

And this is exactly what we'll need to do and I don't think there are any major problems with this approach.

(BTW, I have been using Extensible User Folder and it works ok at least for me. The nice thing is you can very simply add per-user properties, plug in various forms of external auth etc. Other alternatives do exist of course as well.)

Completely reworking our users' information into an EUF might be a solution, but I haven't yet checked that product out. If Petri or someone else has any experiences on it, I'd like to hear them. Specifically, can a EUF user contain folders inside it, which other users also have access to? This is needed for webtops. Alternatively, webtops can be implemented into another subfolder.

For LDAP (or any external authentication scheme), we need to do something and apparently we can either liberate acl_users from FLE's clutch ;) or try to use EUF. For external authentication I preliminary think that using an independent acl_users folder might be the better solution and we just implement all the fle specific details and webtops somewhere else.

--
Tarmo Toikkanen
http://www.iki.fi/tarmo/