fle3-dev

Re: [Fle3-dev] some plans for Flebas, FLE 3 with basic awareness

From: Tarmo Toikkanen
Subject: Re: [Fle3-dev] some plans for Flebas, FLE 3 with basic awareness
Date: Mon May 27 04:57:02 2002

Hi Jukka,

Interesting ideas you have here. I'll comment on the technical aspects. First of all, when you post to the mailing list, you should use as your "From" address the address you used when subscribing to the list. If you use another email address (like you did on your first post), one of the list admins must specifically go and check the mail and accept it, which will add a delay of day or two in your postings.

1.
a) Create a variant of add_memo, for course grades. Like a memo for
user's
webtop, but can be modified only by tutors or FLEadmin and read by
this
student only.

Apparently you want to have free form grades, so that you can also add comments and other feedback into the "grade memos"? Here are some problems I see coming up:

PROBLEM: The user can't move his grade object around, because cut&paste will destroy the object if no paste is ever done. With several courses, the grade memos will clutter up the webtop's root folder. And what happens with old courses' grade memos? SOLUTION: A partial solution is to have a separate "Grades" folder, where all the grade objects are stored.

PROBLEM: "Tutor" is a course specific role. A user can be a tutor in a course, but when we're in a webtop, there's no course that's active at the moment. Therefore you can just limit the creation and editing of grade memos to Staff or FLEAdmin roles. SOLUTION: If you can work with Staff and FLEAdmin, then there's no problem. If you need to get this feature to individual tutors (who might not be Staff, but just normal Users), then the grade memos need to be stored inside each individual course object. Of course you can make them visually appear in the webtop, but the object needs to physically be inside the course object. Then you could have something like a "gradebook" in each course.

b) In Connet we have students in eight universities and for each
university there is someone who tutors and assists students there and
runs
daily local stuff. He/she should be noted when someone adds a grade
for
his/hers student so he/she can add the grade to local register. For
this
we need a new variable in user info, your_tutor. When adding grades,
your_tutor gets a copy of memo in hers webtop.

The additional field of your_tutor is not a problem, although making a proper UI that will select the tutor from the list of thousands of users will take some time (although that needs to be done to UserManagement anyways).

OPEN ISSUES: Who can change the your_tutor variable? The user himself? The tutor? (eg. "Make me this user's tutor). Someone else? Who? And are you sure there's just one tutor for each student at a time?

(at least part a) could be useful in all future versions of FLE. I'm
quite sure you can do much more elegant work with that than I.)

We'll need to discuss these features in more detail to see if we want them. Feature creep is something we want to avoid. ;) Samu will probably have something to say about them.

2. This should be more interesting and more difficult:
When user logs into FLE3, it opens an irc-client-applet and connects
you
to the server which is running in same machine with Zope and FLE.

Actually, this is already being implemented as part of the ITCOLE probject. A Java applet based chat/whiteboard tool has been developed in the University of Murcia, Spain and it will be integrated into Fle3.

In case you haven't yet noticed, the user lists inside course views already differentiate between users that are online and offline. In the near future we'll have a "Chat" button there to initiate a Java chat session between the online users.

Of course this java-applet compromises FLE:s browser compatibilities,
but
with us it's not such a problem, WebCT we're using now has
difficulties
with almost every non-windows-platform.

Yep, using Java does this, but as it's not a crucial feature, we're willing to work with that. And Java applets actually work better in non-windows platforms than in windows. ;)

If we get this to work, I will call it Flebas. FLE3 with Basic
Awareness System.

Well, since Fle3 already has basic awareness built in, you could call it Fle3 with Better Awareness System, so your nice acronym doesn't break. But I would urge you to consider if you really need the irc client or if you would be happy with the chat system we're already integrating. Of course, integrating an irc client into Fle3 as well might be a possibility. However, we're thinking of porting the chat system's server from Java to Python to make the installation of Fle3 simpler, so Pythonizing the server side portion of the irc chat might also be a good idea. Or not. Depending on if we're going to have this irc functionality come by default with Fle3 or not.

If you want to go ahead with the irc chat, we'll be happy to give you pointers on how to get the integration done with Fle3.

--
Tarmo Toikkanen
http://www.iki.fi/tarmo/