fle3-dev

Re: [Fle3-dev] Fle3 version 1.4.2 released

From: Tarmo Toikkanen
Subject: Re: [Fle3-dev] Fle3 version 1.4.2 released
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2003 17:39:56 +0200

Are there changelogs or anything like that available? Our FLE3 is version
1.3.x, but there are all kinds of small modifications we've made, and I'm
not sure wehen updating is worth the effort.

The most important thing to know is compatibility of older dtml-pages with
new code. Renamed functions etc. could provide a problem, we call lots of
FLE's methods from outside FLE.

You can look at the CVS diff pages (link "get involved" at
fle3.uiah.fi) to get an idea of what's changed. We do know that old
pages will not work with the new code, but the differences aren't
really major. Mainly we've done a few new features, like search and
user management. Existing function signatures have been changed as
little as possible, but there will be some changes.

Someone with good understanding of Fle3 innards shouldn't have a
problem changing any external pages to match the new version.

To make the transition as painless as possible:
 1. Install the new version to a different subdirectory, like
    .../zope/lib/python/Products/FLE142
 2. Export the existing FLE environment by browsing to
    .../FLE_folder_name/fle_export
 3. Create a new FLE environment with the new version and import the
    export file to it.
 4. Make alterations to any pages so that they work with the new
    version.
 5. Rename the old environment out of the way and rename the new one
    to replace the old one.

You can do the rename procedure (step 5) at any time you want,
although the external pages will be broken until you fix them.

PS. The Italian translation is now updated and available from the CVS
now, and from the web pages in a short while.

--
Tarmo Toikkanen
http://www.iki.fi/tarmo/