fle3-dev

[Fle3-dev] FLe3 and learning objects?

From: Teemu Leinonen
Subject: [Fle3-dev] FLe3 and learning objects?
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 17:40:13 +0200

Hello,

Have you ever heard about learning objects (LO)? When the idea of LO's was first time introduced in e-learning field I was very critical about it.

The underlying idea of having "chunks of learning content that can be assembled with other LOs to create courses and curricula, much the same way a Lego blocks" is not very well according to the conception of knowledge and learning behind Fle3 development(*.

Lately the discussion have been more about LO's as "simulations", "introductions" and "starting point content". When the role of the LO is not the "building block" of a the course material, but rather a starting point or illustration of some difficult concept, I think they could be used within Fle3, too. Most of the LO's available nowadays are little Java or Flash applications / animation.

For instance in Fle3's Knowledge Building the LO's could be used in two different situations:

(1) In KB "Course Context". There could be a library of LO kind of interactive presentations of different topics. When creating the course context the teacher/tutor could search and find LOs made for this purpose. The LO would be a kind of "starting point" and "teaser" opening many questions and motivating students to start the knowledge building discussion.

(2) In the knowledge building process LO's could be used for presenting scientific explanations or new information. For instance when writing "scientific explanation" note (or whatever note), Fle3 could offer access to LO database containing different LO's that can be used for this purpose.

I think we could rather easily implement and test some LOs in course context of Fle3's Knowledge Building. Simply, when creating course context the teacher/tutor could choose to use LO and browser some content repository where the LO's are located in. Submitting LO's to the repository could take place in the "Course Management".

Let me know what you think about this idea? But, please do not ask me why "learning objects" are called "learning objects" :-)

- Teemu

*) In Fle3 R&D we have relied on the socio-cultural theory of learning. It means that meaningful learning takes place primarily in communities that concentrates on creating and developing expressions of knowledge. This is because knowledge is not static (like LOs) but situated in teams, organizations and social networks.