fle3-dev

Re: [Fle3-dev] Create new knowledge type set: Software Lifecycle

From: Tarmo Toikkanen
Subject: Re: [Fle3-dev] Create new knowledge type set: Software Lifecycle
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2005 13:51:58 +0200

Isn't the waterfall model also rather restrictive? In that sense some kind of rules could make a lot of sense in here.

Also, the waterfall is quite old, and in most software development
situations doesn't work very well. It demands that the customer know
exactly what they want and that the developers know the technical
platform like the backs of their hands. If the platform is new or
unfamiliar, the waterfall will break. And if the customer can't define
exactly what they want, they'll want changes later on, and the
waterfall will break.

I'm also planning the following:
1. Knowledge Type Set: Incremental Model

Don't' know this model. Google told me that it is also a software development model. Interesting, tooo.

Incremental (or cyclic) models are a generic name for most models that
break away from the traditional waterfall. Extreme programming is an
incremental model, so is the Rational Unified Process and countless
others. Basically all agile methods are incremental, also.

Is anyone interested in to create typeset for "extreme programming" (http://www.extremeprogramming.org/)? At least the user stories, elaboration and review of them, release planning (http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?PlanningGame) etc. could be ran and this way teacher with help of knowledge building.

I could do it, I guess, but I'm not convinced that using a lifespan
model as knowledge types really brings any benefits. But that may be
just that I don't understand how they would be used... But with the
waterfall model I personally would create one course context for each
phase and use knowledge type sets like this:

- requirement analysis: design thinking types
- analysis: design thinking types
- design: design thinking types
- implementation: progressive inquiry
- testing: progressive inquiry
- maintenance: progressive inquiry

Or something like that. Of course, to preserve the waterfall, each
context would be created only after the previous has been finished.

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/fle3-dev/2004-11/msg00015.html

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/fle3-dev/2003-01/msg00000.html

Tarmo knows if there is already something done with this - I guess not.

Nope.

--
Tarmo Toikkanen
http://www.iki.fi/tarmo/