Re: [Fluid-dev] multiple sound cards

From: Frank Barknecht
Subject: Re: [Fluid-dev] multiple sound cards
Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2003 09:28:06 +0200

Hallo,
Garett Shulman hat gesagt: // Garett Shulman wrote:

> Markus & Josh, Thank you very much for your replies. The -o
> audio.alsa.device=hw:1 is exactly what I needed to know. However, my
> m-audio delta 2496 card seems to give fluidsynth trouble with this. My
> SB Live 512 works fine with this syntax. I loaded the ice1712 module
> first so that the 2496 will be card0. with just -alsa fluidsynth loads
> fine. however, with -alsa -o audio.alsa.device=hw:0 fluidsynth exits
> with: fluidsynth: error: Failed to find a workable audio format Failed
> to create the audio driver.

This is quite common with the ICE1721 cards: The hardware layer in
ALSA (hw:X) doesn't do conversions of sound stream formats. The
ICE-chip will only accept a certain format from the software. You
either must tell fluidsynth to use exactly that format (I don't know
how this works...) or just use the "default" device in ALSA, which is
the first card as a plugin-device.

(You will get the same error with aplay, if you try to play for
example a mono-wav-file:
$ aplay -Dhw:0 /usr/share/sounds/bell.wav
Playing WAVE '/usr/share/sounds/bell.wav' : Unsigned 8 bit, Rate 11025 Hz, Mono
aplay: set_params:805: Sample format non available)

ciao