[fluid-dev] FS produces unbearably loud noise when playing most instrume

From: kd4crel02
Subject: [fluid-dev] FS produces unbearably loud noise when playing most instruments, any soundfont
Date: 13 Jan 2005 05:26:08 -0000

Hi!

Recently I got a MIDI interface and a keyboard, and I'm trying them out with
FluidSynth to render the MIDI. For most soundfonts I've tried, the first piano
instrument (bank 1, program 1) works fine. But when I try almost any other
instrument and play a few notes, FluidSynth ends up producing a horrendously
loud noise! The only way I can stop it is by changing to a new instrument. It's
very weird.

It seems to happen most easily with instruments that don't naturally fade out
when you hold them down, such as organs, accordions, cellos, and so on. I have
one soundfont in which this happens for the first piano too, but for most
soundfonts I can play the first piano without this bizarre behaviour.

As I said, I tried various soundfonts, and I haven't found one yet in which
this doesn't happen. I tried fiddling around with FluidSynth's various audio
and synth settings, but it made no difference. So it doesn't seem have to do
with chorus, reverb, buffers, periods and so on. I even tried different audio
output drivers, including oss, alsa, and jack, but the behaviour was the same.

The funny thing is, I don't remember this ever happening last year when I was
using FluidSynth just to play MIDI files. It seemed to work like a charm back
then - this noise thing never happened. But then I didn't have a MIDI keyboard
hooked up, although I don't see how that could possibly make any difference
with the sound synthesis.

Another thing that's different, however, is that I'm using kernel 2.6.10 now.
Last time I used FluidSynth I was running kernel 2.4.26 or .27. Maybe
something's changed between versions that's causing this weird thing to happen?

I might try recompiling FluidSynth or trying an older kernel. But has anyone
else experienced such a thing?

Thanks,

Paul