Re: [fluid-dev] FS produces unbearably loud noise when playing most inst

From: kd4crel02
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] FS produces unbearably loud noise when playing most instruments, any soundfont
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 02:18:32 -0500

Thanks for the suggestion, Markus. I tried that, this time using the
fluidsynth CVS sources, but the problem still persists. And it happens on
both kernels 2.4.27 and 2.6.10, either as root or a regular user.

I tried the file audio output driver to make sure it was not a hardware
problem, and sure enough, the insane noise was written to the output file. I
converted it to a WAV, OGG and MP3 so you can hear exactly what I'm talking
about. You can download them here: (turn down the volume first!)

http://............./fluidsynth-bug/fluidsynth.wav (1.5 MB)
http://............./fluidsynth-bug/fluidsynth.ogg (119 KB)
http://............./fluidsynth-bug/fluidsynth.mp3 (137 KB)

I've also uploaded the soundfont that I used to produce that particular sound,
as well as the FluidGUI configuration file:

http://............./fluidsynth-bug/8mbgmgs.sf2 (7.9 MB)
http://............./fluidsynth-bug/fluidsynth.fsg

To produce that, I simply plonked down a random chord near middle C using the
Electric Grand instrument in bank 0.

Normally I'd be looking at the source code myself and seeing if I could figure
out this weird bug, but I don't know anything about audio or DSP programming
and I don't think I have time to learn that right now. :(

Paul