Re: [fluid-dev] A question of memory

From: Dave Serls
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] A question of memory
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2006 13:02:30 -0700

On Tue, 21 Nov 2006 19:45:57 +0000
Paul Millar <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I've written (what I hope is) a minimal, functioning test code for running
> fluidsynth, linking against libfluidsynth.  Its available from:
>
> http://ppewww.physics.gla.ac.uk/~paul/fluidsynth/simple-fluidsynth-test.c
>
> Running this test test through valgrind's memcheck tool is quite interesting:
>
> Valgrind reports that the alsa driver is calling libasound with some
> uninitialised bytes in a few places.
>
> Also, after calling delete_fluid_* functions, there's still some 33 MB of
> memory in use when the program terminates.
>
> I'm loading a 30 MB SoundFont file, so I'm guessing that delete_fluid_synth()
> doesn't free memory allocated by fluid_synth_sfload().  There's lots of other
> wee bits of leaked memory here and there (strdup()s, etc...).

  When mlock=1 is enabled for realtime kernels, that memory is pinned
(page-fixed)
  and very large soundfonts combined with multiple engines (via qsynth) can
  deplete real memory into the OOM-killer range.
  I'm running a poor patch to qsynth to re-use soundfonts across synth engines.
  It's not correct, but it prevents disaster.

> The output from valgrind is available from:
> http://ppewww.physics.gla.ac.uk/~paul/fluidsynth/valgrind.out
>
> But, I hope the test-case above is pretty easy to check this.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Paul.

*   Dave Serls                                 Littleton, CO, USA      *
*   dashs.denver.co.us                         dashs.com               *