[fluid-dev] Pitch problems with certain instruments

From: Wolfgang Illmeyer
Subject: [fluid-dev] Pitch problems with certain instruments
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2006 00:26:32 +0100

Hi.
When I was testing fluidsynth with different soundfonts, I noticed a very odd
behaviour. I'm not very familiar  with soundfont's terminology, I hope you
can understand my problem nevertheless:

Certain instruments don't work as expected. At the border of a keyrange,
there's one key (usually the same key on every octave) which generates the
wrong pitch, usually one octave too high. If you hold such a key for a longer
time, you can hear multiple notes (usually the key you're holding and then
the note one octave below, ... until the lowest octave is reached, and then
the note on the highest octave,...). I also managed to crash swami (which
uses fluidsynth?) by holding down such a key on my midi keyboard for several
seconds (could be swami's fault, though, it doesn't seem very stable to me).

I regret that I can't verify the issue with any other synthesizer, because my
only other wavetable synth (some creative card) vanished quite some time ago,
and with it a cd with the only soundfont of which I know that it's correct.

I'm using Gentoo with nptl, glibc 2.4, gcc-4.1.1,
CFLAGS=CXXFLAGS=-march=athlon-xp -O2 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer
CHOST=i686-pc-linux-gnu
fluidsynth-Version: 1.0.7a from the pro-audio gentoo overlay

Do you think this is a bug in my (downloaded) soundfonts? Can sfpack do that
to a soundfont? I don't suppose that this is some logic flaw in fluidynth,
but maybe a problem with one of the above settings?

Thanks an advance for any help

Wolfgang