Re: [fluid-dev] Purpose of dither?

From: Josh Green
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Purpose of dither?
Date: Fri, 11 May 2007 12:02:58 +0200

On Thu, 2007-05-10 at 12:56 -0700, Z F wrote:
> My point was that there is something wrong in the setup which Mihail
> uses and not with
> the synthesizer itself. The fix was proposed to modify the synthesizer
> which I think is not correct. This is where we are arguing. Can you
> make
> a comment on that? My argument was the he is connecting a relatively
> low
> quality source (16bit) to a high quality output and is not satisfied
> with the
> results. I understand his frastration, but I do not think that adding
> dither is a solution to his problem. Solution would be to add bits to
> DAC. what is your opinion?

Just to chime in on my opinion once more.  When FluidSynth converts to
16 bit, I think dithering should be a runtime configurable option, which
is by default turned on.  If you want to turn it off just set
"synth.dither = 0" and be happy ;)  Or if sending output to your lovely
high end 24 bit sound card, just use Jack output, which is highly likely
in that situation, and be happy that FluidSynth would never dither the
output to Jack.

> And no, you are not dreaming and this is not a nightmare.
>
> Good night.
>
> ZF

Sweet dreams ;)
        Josh