Re: [fluid-dev] Purpose of dither?

From: Miguel Lobo
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Purpose of dither?
Date: Fri, 11 May 2007 14:41:18 +0200

Just to chime in on my opinion once more.  When FluidSynth converts to
16 bit, I think dithering should be a runtime configurable option, which
is by default turned on.  If you want to turn it off just set
"synth.dither = 0" and be happy ;)

I'm with Mihail on this one: turning off dithering would serve no purpose.  The moment you truncate certain signals without dithering you will be introducing high-energy harmonics and nothing you do later will get rid of them.  Therefore, if you are going to truncate, you *always* want dithering.

That said, on principle I generally dislike using random numbers, and I think there should be a way of generating non-random dithering to achieve the same harmonics prevention.  But I'm not going to try to do that ;)

Regards,
Miguel