[fluid-dev] Soundlayering w/ fluidsynth + qsynth

From: Lutz Morelater
Subject: [fluid-dev] Soundlayering w/ fluidsynth + qsynth
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2008 20:00:45 +0200

Hi,

I would like to do the following:

- press one single note on my keyboard,
- play several sounds at the same time on this channel triggered by my MIDI
keyboard while doing that.

Recently I have converted an old electric organ into a powerful MIDI
controller. The organ had/has groups of switches that I now want to use
as "stops", as they were used before for switching sounds on one "channel"
(keyboard).

I can assign MIDI messages to these switches as I need them, so I could send
PRESET CHANGE chan. 1 - BANK 100 etc. for switching sounds on the same
channel, I just do not know how to configure fluidsynth and qsynth to receive
NOTE ON events on one channel and play several instruments without keyboard
splitting on that channel at the same time.

I already know that qsynth/fluidsynth offers more than 16 channels (up to 256
channels iirc), but how do I activate - let's say - channel 23 to play
something, when that is only a virtual channel? How do I send NOTE ON events
etc. for that channel 23?

I could assign sounds of a SF2 file to different banks to play them on the
same physical MIDI channel, but qsynth / fluidsynth does not seem to allow to
assign banks other than those that are inside a sound font file.

Can You help me here or point me to the documentation that would help me get
on with my problems?

Thankyou in advance,
Crypto.