Re: [fluid-dev] Soundlayering w/ fluidsynth + qsynth

From: Bernat Arlandis i Mañó
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Soundlayering w/ fluidsynth + qsynth
Date: Wed, 02 Apr 2008 21:52:34 +0200

Lutz Morelater escrigué:
Hi,

I would like to do the following:

- press one single note on my keyboard,
- play several sounds at the same time on this channel triggered by my MIDI keyboard while doing that.

Recently I have converted an old electric organ into a powerful MIDI controller. The organ had/has groups of switches that I now want to use as "stops", as they were used before for switching sounds on one "channel" (keyboard).

I can assign MIDI messages to these switches as I need them, so I could send PRESET CHANGE chan. 1 - BANK 100 etc. for switching sounds on the same channel, I just do not know how to configure fluidsynth and qsynth to receive NOTE ON events on one channel and play several instruments without keyboard splitting on that channel at the same time.
I'm not sure I've understood anything at all. You can have only one
instrument at a time on any channel. The preset change control will
change the instrument that sounds on the given channel.

Playing several instruments (on several channels) at the same time might
be acomplished using seq24. This great midi sequencer uses buses to
route midi events thru jack. I use it as a simple midi router. Other
midi sequencers might be capable too, but I haven't tried any.
I already know that qsynth/fluidsynth offers more than 16 channels (up to 256 channels iirc), but how do I activate - let's say - channel 23 to play something, when that is only a virtual channel? How do I send NOTE ON events etc. for that channel 23?
QSynth/Fluidsynth creates several ports, each one has 16 midi channels.

Best regards.

--
Bernat Arlandis i Mañó