[fluid-dev] Windows build

From: O. P. Martin
Subject: [fluid-dev] Windows build
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2008 18:12:59 -0700 (PDT)

Hi, Josh and the FluidSynth community,

How are you?

Thank you for your service in providing fluidsynth.

Please forgive my ignorance.

I unpacked the 1.0.8 tarball but have been having problems compiling under
Windows.

First I tried it with VC6, which would have been preferred.  I opened the .dsw
file and the three 'active projects' appeared, but there were no classes or
files defined.  So, I tried manually adding the files.  Then I moved include
files around so the compiler would find them, and copied config_win32.h to
config.h (maybe that was wrong).  I got it so it almost compiled; the only
thing it seemed to complain about was that 'unsigned long long' was illegal.  I
concluded that perhaps my compiler does not support 64-bit integers.

I also have VC 2005 Express installed.  I started over and opened the .sln
file, which vc converted.  It did not work.  It said it could not find
windows.h .  The .dsw project still looks like it is empty when I open it.

I searched the mailing list archives and took a peek.  You guys seemed to be
talking about modifying both source and project files.  My head is swimming.

I actually already have a fluidsynth.dll file that was distributed with another
application, but I hadn't been able to figure out how to use it without an
import library.  That's what prompted me to attempt to build the source.

Should I install Cygwin, or would that make things worse?  I also have Ubuntu
(dapper drake) in another partition, but I would be even far less proficient
there.

Thank you in advance for any tips.

May the Lord bless you,
Philip