Re: [fluid-dev] tunnings

From: Viktor Michna
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] tunnings
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2008 20:55:41 +0200 (CEST)

Hello Josh,
I don't think it's problem of FluidSynth, it does greatly his job and thank you
for it.
Thing is that FluidSynth uses usual equal temperament which sounds slightly
dissonant on some intervals (like thirds). This is general problem of whole
western music and all conventionally used intruments (piano, guitar, flute,
...).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equal_temperament
http://www.justintonation.net/whatsound.html

My research deals with some kind of "cleaning" by small retuning of equal
temperament in real time. Maybe if algorithm was ready, it would be good idea
to built it into synthesizer, but I'm just at the beginning... There's already
method called HMT (Hermode Tuning), but it deals only with some of intervals
and more it's probably patented.
I'm testing on fluidsynth.dll build with patched function
fluid_synth_tune_notes() to finally work in realtime (parameter apply).
BTW: How is it with latency?, I'm using USB MIDI keyboard and there's small
delay between the keypress and sound...

Best regards,
Viktor