Re: [fluid-dev] newbie tempo question

From: Julien Claassen
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] newbie tempo question
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2008 07:56:53 +0200 (CEST)

Hi Steve!
I've never looked at the MIODI-Player of fluidsynth and I've never used it intensely. But: I think, that fluidsynth's MIDIfile-player was mostly for smaller jobs or for testing. Fluidsynth is best suited to playing live. For playback, with soundfonts or GUS-patches, better use TiMidity. Fedora should have it packaged. You can easily configure timidity to use a soundfont or more than one. Timidity also uses much less CPU-power with a couple of channels/sounds playing simultaneously. Also timidity has a few interface (commandline, curses, slang, and GUIs of course gtk and lesstif or motif).
  Kindest regards
         Julien

--------

http://ltsb.sourceforge.net