[fluid-dev] newbie tempo question

From: Steve Thompson
Subject: [fluid-dev] newbie tempo question
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2008 19:08:23 -0400 (EDT)

Fluidsynth 1.0.8 on a Fedora Core 6 32-bit system. I am a 2-day newbie to fluidsynth and MIDI in general. Discovery of fluidsynth was a happy day.

MIDI files are generated using MUP 5.5. There are several tempo changes within the music. By looking at the generated MIDI with rosegarden (1.7.0) I can see that the tempo changes are in the correct place. If I play the music through rosegarden, using fluidsynth started as:

        fluidsynth -m alsa_seq PC51f.sf2

then the music plays correctly, with the tempo changes in the correct places. However, if I omit rosegarden and play directly from fluidsynth (which is my preferred method):

        fluidsynth -m alsa_seq PC51f.sf2 <midi-file>

then the music plays correctly, except that:

-the tempo changes occur in very strange places, with most tempo changes
 omitted entirely;

- some tempo changes occur in the middle of a bar way before they should;

- initial tempo is one that shouldn't occur until a couple of minutes in.

I would appreciate any input, as I'm not sure how to go about diagnosing this, being a noob and all.

TIA,
Steve