Re: [fluid-dev] Some Questions About FluidSynth MIDI Player

From: Bernat Arlandis i Mañó
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Some Questions About FluidSynth MIDI Player
Date: Wed, 01 Oct 2008 01:31:41 +0200

Zegelin Peter escrigué:
I must admit reading most of those license makes my eyes glaze over and I can never really figure them out. If I use FluidSynth it would be as a shared library so I think I would be covered (but I'd better have another look). As for making changes and releasing them back to the community that would also be OK.
I think the LGPL would be compatible with that use, although it could be
limitations as to how you link to the library, statically, dinamically,...

Re the clipping - could you tell me which files I should be looking at to see how the mixing etc. works? I have looked a bit and can't really find it.

I know a bit about the gain problems, although I'm an audio newbie, so
take care with my explanation. :)

As fluidsynth is very flexible (number of voices, reverb, chorus) and
soundfonts are very varying too, you have to be adjusting the gain
manually a lot so that you have a good volume in quite passages and no
clipping in the loud busy ones. Maybe it would be possible doing
automatic gain adjustment and putting an output compressor or limiter so
the volume is more even without clipping. Sometimes, I use a limiter in
the fluidsynth output so I can use a high enough gain without clipping
so it sounds good when hitting hard many keys and when playing just one
quiet voice.

--
Bernat Arlandis i Mañó