Re: [fluid-dev] Role of glib

From: David Henningsson
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Role of glib
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2009 18:24:32 +0200

address@hidden skrev:
> Quoting David Henningsson <address@hidden>:
>> address@hidden skrev:
> Looking at the AUTHORS file, I don't see David Henningsson listed at
> all!  You should definitely put your name prominently in the development
> team list.

Ok :-)

> Where should we have the FluidSynth release party? ;)

Somewhere outside on the savannah, among all the GNUs :-)

> iPhone doesn't support shared libraries at all, from what I have heard.
> So that means that FluidSynth and glib would
> have to be copy pasted into another application, which would therefore
> also have to be LGPL.

I'm not a lawyer, but I guess that as long as you provide a way to
update the LGPL code you would be fine.

>> Sometimes I have thought that the FluidSynth library should be split
>> into two, one "core rendering" synth with minimal dependencies, and one
>> with all dependencies (Audio drivers, midi drivers, LASH, readline,
>> etc). The reasoning behind this is that distributions like Debian build
>> FluidSynth with support for everything. And applications that has their
>> own driver support (VLC, fluidsynth-dssi, etc) then wouldn't have
>> unnecessary dependencies.
>>
>> That was probably a parenthesis but perhaps something to consider for
>> 2.0.
>
> I think this might be the way to resolve the embeddable issue too.  If
> we can keep the FluidSynth synthesis core simple enough to be able to
> build it standalone without glib, then it would probably satisfy those
> cases where glib isn't available.  Probably doesn't need to be
> multi-thread capable in that case either, so events are not queued,
> mutex operations become void, etc.

So we still have to live without lists/hashes/etc from glib inside the
rendering engine? Or copy them from glib? I was actually thinking that
glib could be a dependency of the rendering engine, but that does not
solve the iPhone issue, of course.

// David