Re: [fluid-dev] Future Chorus and Reverb for fluidsynth

From: Ebrahim Mayat
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Future Chorus and Reverb for fluidsynth
Date: Mon, 04 Jan 2010 10:05:06 -0500

On Jan 3, 2010, at 10:44 PM, address@hidden wrote:

Quoting Graham Goode <address@hidden>:
Hi Guys,
This is not for the 1.1.1 RC release, but perhaps more a question for
1.2 or 2.0...

Will fluidsynth use the LV2 audio plugin standard? (LV2 is a simple
but extensible successor of LADSPA - http://lv2plug.in/). The popular
swh-plugins set is available in LV2 and has some great chorus and
reverb options...

Thanks for all that you guys are doing!
Graham

Seems like a good idea to me.  It would be an optional build time dependency like LADSPA is currently.  I recently tested FluidSynth LADSPA support and didn't experience any issues.  I know it had some crash problems in the past, but this was never investigated.  Has anyone tried FluidSynth LADSPA support recently?  Anyone willing to give it a try?  I suspect that the crash issue is related to architecture or something else.  I looked over the code a bit and didn't see anything obvious.  Its a bit difficult to fix a problem that can't be reproduced!  Perhaps some of the recent thread safety changes fixed whatever issue was there.

Hello all

I had originally broached this topic about a year ago, but after some consideration I think that it would be better to develop fluidsynth itself as a lv2 plug-in. This would enable users to use fluidsynth as a plug-in into programs like Rosegarden and Ardour.

As for using FX in fluidsynth there are three possibilities:

1. As Josh has mentioned the LADSPA route could be worthy of renewed testing
2. Channel the fluidsynth signal via Jack-rack
3. When used with a sequencer, the fluidsynth signal could be routed through the sequencer's effects plug-ins.

Other thoughts and opinions requested.

HAPPY NEW YEAR ALL!
Ebrahim.