Re: [fluid-dev] Imminent 1.1.3 release?

From: David Henningsson
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Imminent 1.1.3 release?
Date: Fri, 08 Oct 2010 21:34:31 +0200

On 2010-10-08 20:00, Pedro Lopez-Cabanillas wrote:
On Friday 08 October 2010, David Henningsson wrote:
I get the feeling that trunk is in quite good shape now, with just
low-regression-risc bugfixes since 1.1.2, so perhaps we should release
1.1.3 now?

Yes

Good. I've started to prepare the 1.1.3 release, see
https://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/fluidsynth/wiki/ChangeLog1_1_3
and
https://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/fluidsynth/wiki/ReleaseCheckList

Feel free to make additions.

That is, before getting our hands dirty with sequencer additions. I also
have a few cleanup patches I'd like to apply.

Opinions please! And as always, thanks for your commitments (in various
ways) to FluidSynth!

I wonder if we need to write some more documentation, because for instance the
change of the default setting from floats (in autotools) to doubles (in CMake)
has  gone unnoticed until the ticket #87.

Right, I never said anything about that because I was quite busy at the time. Thinking about it there is also the argument that if we ever add SSE/SSE2 instructions for optimizing interpolation and/or mixing, that would make floats faster because then you can do four at a time.

It actually surprises me that double precision can be faster than single precision.

Memory is probably less of concern compared to what it takes to load an entire soundfont into RAM.

Looks like nobody reads the summary
configuration report printed by both build systems. Maybe the wiki or the
READMES would be better places.

To be honest, I don't know what people read and what they don't read, so I can't give you any valuable feedback there...

All major distributions have adopted the CMake build system in 1.1.2 without
finding obstacles, but I would keep the old one during some more time.

Agreed.

// David