Re: [fluid-dev] Announcing fluidsynth-sharp

From: Felix Krause
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Announcing fluidsynth-sharp
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2010 00:09:59 +0100

On 06.12.2010, at 22:08, Pedro Lopez-Cabanillas wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Monday 06 December 2010, Felix Krause wrote:
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> I started implementing a wrapper for FluidSynth to the Mono/.NET virtual
>> machine. I already released a first alpha version that's not yet
>> feature-complete and has undergone only minimal testing. Be warned, I might
>> do some rearrangements of the namespace before the first stable release if
>> it grows too large, but feel free to try it out if you're interested.
>>
>> The project is hosted at http://fluidsynth.flyx.org/#fluidsynth-sharp.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Felix
>
> Can you please provide a brief comparision (motivation, features, goals,
> design...) of your wrapper and the already existing bindings?
> http://www.z-sys.org/products/fluidwrapper.aspx
>
> Regards,
> Pedro

The existing wrapper is written in Managed C++ (or C++/CLI, I'm not sure, site
says Managed C++). It uses the Visual C Runtime Library, which makes it
Windows-only. As I both develop on and target Mono on a Mac, I couldn't use the
existing wrapper. The C++ wrapper takes the advantage of linking to FluidSynth
at compile time, which makes it faster. This isn't possible with Mono.

So my objective is to create a platform-independent wrapper that links to the
library at runtime to be able to update FluidSynth without having to recompile
the wrapper. I also work to get to a stable release - the C++ wrapper has so
far seen one commit made two years ago, giving a version labled as alpha, which
made me think the project has probably been abandoned by its developer. As I
couldn't use the wrapper anyway, I saw no point in contacting him and asking
about it.

Cheers,
Felix