Re: [fluid-dev] Announcing fluidsynth-sharp

From: Felix Krause
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Announcing fluidsynth-sharp
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2010 02:17:59 +0100

On 07.12.2010, at 00:09, Felix Krause wrote:

> On 06.12.2010, at 22:08, Pedro Lopez-Cabanillas wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Monday 06 December 2010, Felix Krause wrote:
>>> Hi everyone,
>>>
>>> I started implementing a wrapper for FluidSynth to the Mono/.NET virtual
>>> machine. I already released a first alpha version that's not yet
>>> feature-complete and has undergone only minimal testing. Be warned, I might
>>> do some rearrangements of the namespace before the first stable release if
>>> it grows too large, but feel free to try it out if you're interested.
>>>
>>> The project is hosted at http://fluidsynth.flyx.org/#fluidsynth-sharp.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Felix
>>
>> Can you please provide a brief comparision (motivation, features, goals,
>> design...) of your wrapper and the already existing bindings?
>> http://www.z-sys.org/products/fluidwrapper.aspx
>>
>> Regards,
>> Pedro
>
> The existing wrapper is written in Managed C++ (or C++/CLI, I'm not sure,
> site says Managed C++). It uses the Visual C Runtime Library, which makes it
> Windows-only. As I both develop on and target Mono on a Mac, I couldn't use
> the existing wrapper. The C++ wrapper takes the advantage of linking to
> FluidSynth at compile time, which makes it faster. This isn't possible with
> Mono.
>
> So my objective is to create a platform-independent wrapper that links to the
> library at runtime to be able to update FluidSynth without having to
> recompile the wrapper. I also work to get to a stable release - the C++
> wrapper has so far seen one commit made two years ago, giving a version
> labled as alpha, which made me think the project has probably been abandoned
> by its developer. As I couldn't use the wrapper anyway, I saw no point in
> contacting him and asking about it.
>
> Cheers,
> Felix

Just thought about it, the point about runtime linking is not that I can't
update the FluidSynth library, but that I can add new features of a recent
library version to the wrapper while it still can be used with an older version
of FluidSynth (only the new feature is not available then). Got that wrong in
the previous mail.