Re: [fluid-dev] Some of MIDI File doesn't play correctly

From: Aere Greenway
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Some of MIDI File doesn't play correctly
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2012 16:57:35 -0600

Ryan:

I don't have the soundfont you mentioned, but I played it using the FluidR3_GM.sf2 soundfont, via pmidi,  both using my soundblaster card, and also with qsynth (fluidsynth).

Both of the playbacks sounded good to me.  However, I am using a PPA version of libfluidsynth1 from David Henningson (one of the developers), and I no longer have the version I got with Ubuntu 12.04, because it wouldn't play my more complex pieces either.

I tried it with the soundblaster card because it never had the problem fluidsynth has had in the prior, and current, Ubuntu Linux release.

I am wondering if you have run into the same thing I ran into with the Ubuntu 12.04 release version of fluidsynth, where it fills up the available polyphony, and begins dropping notes (or playing new notes for only a short time).  Once in that mode, it remains in that bad mode until you restart fluidsynth (qsynth).

If it is that problem, it has been fixed in the just-released version of fluidsynth.

If you could describe more precisely the way the sound wasn't good to listen to, I might be able to recognize if it is the same problem I encountered.

- Aere