[fluid-dev] R: Re: How to change settings (Reverb, Chorus, Gain, Bank)

From: address@hidden
Subject: [fluid-dev] R: Re: How to change settings (Reverb, Chorus, Gain, Bank) while Fluidsynth is running as a server (no shell)?
Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2013 17:25:07 +0200 (CEST)

Hello, thanks a lot for your support!

>The first thing that comes to mind, without having to do any programming,
>is
to use the built in FluidSynth TCP/IP server (a command line switch
>enables this).

My board has no network, but I
could use the internal localhost: fluidsynth tcp server would listen on
127.0.0.1 and my script, running locally, could
use netcat to talk to the appropriate port. A dummy network, that is.
But, I did not find any documentation about
fluidsynth tcp server: nothing in the man page, nothing in the html document. :(
So I don't know about commands,
message formats, settings, etc. :(

I was hoping that, for example (libfluidsynth doc):

  fluid_settings_setstr
(settings, "some_parameter", "some_value");

could apply to an existing (running) synth, without having to do

 synth =
new_fluid_synth(settings);

But it seems that there's nothing like a synth = open_running_fluid_synth()  :-(

>Nice to
hear about your results with the ARM platform you are using.  I've
>been wanting to create a stand alone FluidSynth
device for a while myself.
>It's great that embedded systems have reached a high enough level, power
>wise, to work as
well as you are reporting and with floating point units to
>make this possible.

Yes, these new dev boards are really
powerful.
The one I'm using has a Allwinner A20 (dual-CortexA7 @ 900MHz) and 1GB of DDR3
RAM.

I found it's useful to
recompile everything with GCC 4.7.2, because it supports specific ARM Cortex
optimizations and auto-vectorialization
using the NEON SIMD unit; you can gain a nice speed boost.
My CFLAGS are
'-march=armv7-a -mtune=cortex-a7 -ffast-math -
mfpu=neon-vfpv4 -Ofast'

Fernando

>On Aug 11, 2013 8:16 AM, "address@hidden" <address@hidden> wrote:

Hello everyone,

>> first of all: a BIG, BIG THANK YOU to everyone here for Fluidsynth.
>> It's a wonderful
application, I
>> like and use it a lot!
>>
>> I'm running Fluidsynth 1.1.6 on a small Arm board running Linux
(something
>> like a Cubieboard.
>> Say a RaspPi on steroids).
>> I recompiled everything to gain as much performances
as possible, and
>> am really happy about
>> it (175 MB of SF2, 128 voices, 21ms latency and
>> hardly breaks a
sweat!).

>> My question. hoping not to waste too much of
>> your time.
>>
>> I'm running Fluidsynth in unattended
Server mode ( -s ): the ARM board
>> is headless and connected to a MIDI
>> input (master keyboard and/or

sequencer).

>> I'd like to change some Fluidsynth settings "on the fly":
>>
>> - without
>> resorting to the
integrated shell (because I can't use it: headerless
>> board without keypad)
>> - without having to send
>> MIDI
commands using my MIDI keyboard (because it's very
>> complicated with my model)
>> - without restarting Fluidsynth
>>

>> In
>> particular, I'd like to change:
>> gain (-g)
>> reverb (-R)
>> chorus (-C)
>> General MIDI bank
>>
>> So I was
thinking of a shell
>> script or C program I may write,
>> triggered by an appropriate physical input (I can do that, I
have
>> plenty GPIOs on the
>> board).
>> The program/script should "talk" to Fluidsynth server and change some

settings in realtime, without restarting
>> it (a brief pause is OK).
>>
>> I've read the documentation, and from what
I gather, it should be somehow
>> possible using
>> Fluidsynth API via libfluidsynth.
>> But every example I've found
creates a new Synth before setting
>> parameters, etc.
>> don't want to create a new synth: I only want to change
the settings of
>> the Fluidsynth server which is already running.
>>

>> Is it possible?
>> Any hint, code
fragment...?

>> Thanks a lot for your patience. :-)
>>
>> Best regards,
>>
>> Fernando
>>

>> Invita i tuoi amici
e Tiscali ti premia! Il consiglio di un amico vale più